Pastured Beef Burgers & Crispy Potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef (or less if serving fewer than 3-4 people)
- 1 tomato, cut into slices
- 1 red onion, cut into thin slices
- Lettuce, washed
- Monterey Jack or other cheese, shredded
- Ketchup (if desired, you may have some leftover from a previous box)
- Mustard (if desired)
- Mayonnaise (if desired)
- Burger buns (if desired)
- 1-2 lbs fingerling potatoes
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pat the ground beef into 3-4 oz patties and cook as you prefer. If you have a grill, cook them to desired doneness. If not, a heavy cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat works well. Sear on both sides, and then finish to desired doneness in the oven at 450. Toast buns, and top with grated cheese. Heat until melted. Top burgers with onions, tomatoes, etc, as desired.
For the potatoes
- Have oven at the same temperature used to finish burgers, at 450. Cover the potatoes with water by 2 inches in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and reduce heat to a rapid simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes; drain. Gently smash each potato until slightly flattened but still in one piece. (Edges will split.)
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place potatoes on sheet in a single layer and brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until golden brown and crisp, flipping once, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, season with salt, and serve.
- Not included in Large Real Food Boxes: Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, and the optional ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and burger buns.
Narrative Food Blog http://blog.narrativefood.com/