Order Deadline: Noon, Tuesday, April 5th
ABOUT THIS BOX
Most of us know that the ‘Movement’ or even the ‘Delicious Revolution,’ all started with Alice Waters – at least, here in California it did. Everything has been gaining momentum over the past several years, with help from movies like Food Inc, books by Michael Pollan, the ongoing efforts of Carlo Petrini and the Slow Food movement, the proliferation of farmers markets and companies like OTB. But we all owe a huge debt to Alice Waters for falling in love with produce from her local farmers and elevating those growers to their rightful pedestal — just as much rock stars as Mick Jagger in some cases.
This week, we have found great inspiration from Alice Waters’ wonderful book The Art of Simple Food. With the ingredients we are blessed with from our local farmers, many of whom are also suppliers to her legendary restaurant Chez Panisse, in Berkeley, this opus is a welcome reminder that we really need to do very little to create a delicious meal. Simple is the best way to let these beautiful ingredients shine. Waters’ cookbook is structured with headings that outline some basic techniques, going from “Into the Oven”, “Out of the Frying Pan”, to “Simmering”, “Slow Cooking” and “Over the Coals”. We have chosen a meal using each one of these techniques, and also included ingredients and recipes for 2 of the 4 Essential Sauces she outlines in her book.
Apart from the beautiful local produce that these recipes revolve around, we are also extremely excited to be featuring some ingredients from Sonoma and Bay Area artisans who are celebrated at Chez Panisse. This includes perhaps my favorite California cheese, the melt in your mouth delicious Mt. Tam from Cowgirl Creamery and some Rustic Bakery crackers to accompany it. We’ve also chosen the makings of a super simple but amazing dessert with a Strawberry-Rhubarb-Rose Geranium Syrup from legendary preserver June Taylor, who has been preserving fruit for over 30 years now at her small shop the Still Room in Berkeley. A true artist who is meticulous about everything from the fruit she chooses to the labels and bottles she uses, this is a really special treat. This syrup will be perfect drizzled over some Cowgirl Creamery Fromage Blanc — with fresh fruit if you like. (Yes there will be fresh strawberries and rhubarb in the box this week too!) But June also suggests using the syrup over pancakes, in cocktails, mixed with sparkling water, or straight over fruit. Yum!
- Out of the Frying Pan – Pan Fried Pork chops with Herb Butter and Braised Baby Artichokes
- Into the Oven – Roasted Root Vegetables with a Shaved Fennel Salad
- Over the Coals – Grilled Sirloin Steak with Smashed Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli
- Simmering – Poached Egg with Curly Endive (Frisee) Salad
- Slow Cooking – Braised Chicken Legs with a Green Salad and Basic Vinaigrette
- Omnivore 5-meal Real Food Box includes ingredients for all the recipes, plus additional staples and fruit.
- Vegetarian 5-meal Real Food Box includes ingredients for the Poached Egg with Curly Endive Salad and the Roasted Root Vegetables with a Shaved Fennel Salad plus ingredients for 2-3 more meals of your own invention and additional staples and fruit.
- Omnivore 2-meal Real Food box includes ingredients for the Pork Chops with Herb Butter and Braised Baby Artichokes and the Poached Egg with Curly Endive Salad.
- Vegetarian 2-meal Real Food box includes ingredients for the Poached Egg with Curly Endive Salad and the Roasted Root Vegetables with a Shaved Fennel Salad