Chicken Legs with Salsa Negra
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3/4 ounces cascabel chiles, stemmed
- 3/4 ounces guajillo chiles (about 3)—stemmed, seeded and cut into pieces
- 10 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon piloncillo (raw Mexican sugar) or packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- While roasting your chicken legs (with salt and pepper and herbs of choice) for about 30-45 minutes at 350 F, you can prepare the Salsa Negra.
- In a large saucepan, combine the oil and the chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and the chiles are browned in spots, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic along with the vinegar, sugar, cumin and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and let cool. Transfer the chile mixture to a blender and pulse until a coarse paste forms. Season with salt.
- The salsa negra can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- Serve with the chicken legs, and some steamed rice.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Boxes: Grapeseed Oil, White WIne Vinegar, Cumin Seeds, Salt
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/