Crepe with Spinach and Bechamel
For crepe batter
- 1 cup all-purpose batter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the filling
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch spinach
- Pinch of salt
For the bechamel sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth. Set the mixture aside and take out three frying pans.
- Lightly oil the first pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Keep doing this until batter is finished.
- Wash and chop the spinach and mince the garlic clove. Heat up the second pan, adding in the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the spinach and sauté for 3 minutes adding in the garlic and salt. Strain into a colander and press the spinach against the sides, removing any excess liquid.
- In the third frying pan, melt 2 T of butter on medium heat. Add in the tablespoon of flour and mix it with a wooden spoon. Brown the butter and flour for a few seconds.
- Microwave your cup of milk for 30 seconds and gradually stir that into the butter and flour mixture. Be sure to stir it vigorously to avoid clumping. Turn down the flame and stir in the grated Swiss.
- Finish with a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Take one crepe and fill half of it with spinach and a spoonful of sauce. Then fold it over itself and top it with more sauce.
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/