Delicata and Ricotta Quiche with Salad of Baby Spinach and Pears
- 2 large eggs
- Pie shell thawed but chilled
- 1 organic delicata squash, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- A tub fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Baby spinach (reserve a handful for steak recipe if you have an omnivore box), whole or torn to bite-size pieces
- 3 medium pears
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (we prefer a grainy Dijon)
- salt + pepper to taste
- Carefully place the pie shell in a pie tin, taking care not to stretch it. Crimp the edges if desired, and chill for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350. Use aluminum foil to line the inside of your pie shell, being sure to cover the crimped edges. Then fill it with dried beans, rice, or baking beans, taking care not to get any bits on the actual pie shell. Place the pie shell onto a baking pan and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove to cool slightly and then carefully remove the beans and foil from the shell.
- Then, preheat oven to 450°. Using a large, sharp knife, cut off the ends of the squash until you reach the seeds. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Carefully slice the delicata squash crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rings. Arrange the rings on rimmed baking sheets. Mix 2 teaspoons of the olive oil with the butter and honey and brush on the squash rings; season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the rings are browned on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a generous pinch of pepper.
- Arrange the squash rings in the pastry shell, browned sides up. Beat the 4 eggs and pour them on top of the squash. Add the ricotta on top in big dollops. Bake for 30 minutes at 375°, or until the pastry is golden brown, and eggs are set.
- Peel and core pears and slice into thin slices.
- Prep the dressing by mixing garlic with the olive oil, and add vinegar, mustard and lemon if you like. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Gently toss the pears with the baby kale. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box? Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Butter (included in 3-5 person box), Honey, Salt, Pepper, Heavy Cream, Sugar, Pumpkin Seeds (use your Pepitas from the Malibu Farm box if you still have some), Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon mustard.
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/