Fresh Herb Falafel Pita Pockets With Cabbage Salad
- Falafel Mix
- Pita Pockets
- 1/4 Cabbage Head
- 1 Cucumber thinly chopped
- Tahini Sauce to taste (opt)
- 3/4 Cabbage Head
- 3 Grated Carrots
- 2 Cloves of finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Whole Lemon
- 1 Cup Mayonaise or Mayonnaise Substitute
- Cilantro, Mint, or Parsley to taste
- Add the sachet of baking powder to the wet falafel mix provided in your box right before shaping 12 falafel balls. You can bake, deep fry, or fry in a skillet. When falafel balls are all golden on all sides, take them out of the heat and plop them into the pita pockets with your desired amount of hummus, cucumber, tahini sauce, and sliced cabbage.
- Cabbage Salad
- Cut the cabbage in half, cutting out the thick part at the bottom where the stalk once attached because it is not fun or pleasant to eat. Now, thinly slice the cabbage into strips, and cut crossways into 1-2 inch pieces. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Then add the Mayonnaise or mayonnaise alternative and apple cider vinegar and mix well until all of the cabbage is covered in the sauce. Now chop garlic, grate your carrots, and add in to the mix. Add more salt, about a 1/2 a Tbsp worth, and continue stirring.
- Now add the lemon juice from one lemon and pepper and let sit for 30 minutes in the fridge. The longer the cabbage salad sits, the more the the flavors will come out. Salt and Pepper to taste, and garnish at your will!
- I know many people have a natural aversion to Mayonnaise, but in the cabbage salad we use it as a part of the sauce that you don't even end up tasting in the end so I would recommend facing your fears and trying this out, because it is so delicious. As delicious alternatives, try lemonaise or coconut milk.
- Optionally, you can add raw chopped sweet yellow onions and/or pomegranates seeds into the mix. The secret of the cabbage salad is the tanginess of the lemon or pomegranate meeting the creamy saltiness of the mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar-based sauce; mouth-watering! Let your inner daredevil out, and enjoy!
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Mayonnaise, Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt & Pepper, Tahini (opt).
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/