Grilled Tuscan Steak with Sauteed Mushroom and Roasted Heirloom Potatoes with Raw Fennel Salad
For the Steak
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper -
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil -
- Rosemary - 6 sprigs, leaves picked from 4 of them
- Fresh Sage - 3 sprigs, leaves picked and torn
- Lemon - zest and juice of 1
- Top Sirloin Steaks - 4 x 250g
For the Mushrooms
- Olive Oil - 3 1/2 tablespoons
- Garlic Cloves - 2, minced
- Chopped Rosemary - 3/4 teaspoon
- Chanterelle Mushrooms - your portion, wiped free of dirt and moisture
- Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar - 2 1/2 tablespoons
For the Roasted Potatoes
- Potatoes - 1 cup heirloom potatoes
- Good Olive Oil - 1/8 cup
- Kosher Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Minced Garlic - 3 cloves, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Rosemary, thyme, sage (whatever herb you love most) - 2 tablespoons
For the Fennel Salad
- fennel bulb shaved paper thin - 1
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 T
- fresh lemon juice - 1 T
- zest of 1 orange
- fresh chopped thyme leaves (optional) - 1/8 t
- shaved parmesan cheese (optional) - 2 T
- sea salt - pinch
- black pepper - pinch
- Either light your barbecue and let it burn down to nice hot glowing coals, or preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/gas 4 and heat up your griddle pan.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and 3/4 teaspoon rosemary and sauté 30 seconds. Add all mushrooms and sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon vinegar and stir to coat. Season mushrooms to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pat the steaks with olive oil. Chop up the rosemary and sage leaves and sprinkle over both sides of your steaks with a good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper as well.
- To give your steak some extra flavor, tie the remaining rosemary sprigs and sage together and bash them in a pestle and mortar with a little salt, lemon zest, and a glug of olive oil. As you cook and turn your food, brush it with the rosemary branch to flavor it with all the lovely lemony oily juices from the pestle and mortar.
- Cook the steaks on the bbq or in a grill pan to your liking, turning them every minute. Once ready, transfer to a plate and top with mushrooms mixture. Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes in half or quarters and place in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and herb of your choice; toss until the potatoes are well coated. Spread the potatoes onto a baking sheet in 1 layer; roast in the oven for at least 1 hour, or until browned and crisp. Flip twice with a spatula during cooking to ensure even browning.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, season to taste, and serve.
- The Fennel Salad: Mix all ingredients together, serve cold.
- Not Included in the Box: Extra virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper, balsamic or red wine vinegar, fresh thyme leaves, parmesan cheese
Narrative Food Blog http://blog.narrativefood.com/