Involtini Di Pollo (Chicken Roulade with Tuscan Kale and Cheese)
- Skinless Chicken Breast - 4 pieces, removed from the bone
- Kosher Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Tuscan Kale - 4 leaves, washed and dry
- Gouda Cheese - 4 thin slices
- Sage Leaves - 8 large
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil -
- Finely chopped tomatoes - 2 cups
- White WIne - 1/4 cup
- 1. Prepare a stovepan for direct cooking over medium heat.
- 2. For each piece of chicken, use about 12 inches of plastic wrap. Place the chicken, smooth side down, to one side of the plastic, about 2 inches from the edge. Fold the remaining plastic over the chicken leaving an inch or so from the folded edge. This will allow the chicken to spread out as it gets thinner. Starting from the thick side, gently pound the chicken with the flat side of a tenderizer or the bottom of a small, heavy skillet, moving to different areas with every stroke until it is about 1/4 inch thick and just about double in size. Do not pound too hard or the chicken might break apart.
- 3. Season each piece of chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken with the smooth side down on a work surface.
- 4. Lay a couple of leaves of Tuscan Kale on each piece of chicken. Then lay down 2 slices of the cheese and then 2 sage leaves (optional). Carefully roll up the chicken, keeping it snug as you work. Tie 2 pieces of butcher's twine around each piece to keep it together. Trim the loose ends of twine. Lightly brush each rolled piece of chicken with the oil.
- 5. In a hot pan heat up two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and when hot, add the chicken roulades. Cook the chicken in the hot skillet over medium heat. Add 1⁄4 of a cup of white wine and let evaporate. Then add 2 cups of tomatoes and keep cooking until they break down into a sauce (8 minutes approximately). Lower the heat and place the lid on top for the last 4 minutes checking on them once in a while. Remove from the pan and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6. Remove the twine from the chicken pieces, cut into slices, and serve warm in a pool of sauce over sautéed Tuscan kale.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Salt, Pepper, Extra Virgin Olive OIL, White Wine
Narrative Food Blog http://blog.narrativefood.com/