Simple Mexican Rice
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 TBS oil such as avocado or canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped approximately 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped approximately 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 fresh chile of any type, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tomato, chopped approximately 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS cilantro, chopped
- 1. Put the rice in a bowl and cover it with warm water. Let it stand 20 minutes while you chop your ingredients. Then pour the rice into a strainer and let it dry for 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Heat the oil in a heavy pot on medium heat until it shimmers and heat radiates off it. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until rice turns golden brown and smells like popcorn.
- 3. Add the vegetables and cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- 4. Add the water and salt and bring to a boil, then turn heat down so the liquid is at a simmer. Cook the rice, uncovered, on medium heat for 10-15 minutes without stirring. You should see little steam holes appear in the rice and most of the liquid should get absorbed.
- 5. Remove from heat, cover the pot, and let it rest for 10-15 more minutes.
- 6. Stir in the cilantro gently with a fork.
Make it your own
- -add chopped mushrooms, corn, peas, scallions, chopped carrots, or vegetables of your choice in step 3!
- -top with a little grated jack, cheddar, or queso fresco cheese if desired.
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/