Quesadillas with Tomatillo-Garlic Sauce and Grilled Onion
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 TBS avocado or grapeseed oil, divided
- 6 tomatillos, husked and washed in hot water
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded
- 8 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 1/4 cup cilantro, washed and rough chopped
- 1 lime
- 1/2 a white onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rings
- 1- Pre-heat the broiler. Put the tomatillos, jalapeno, and garlic on a baking sheet and pour 1 TBS oil on top. Stir them to completely coat with oil. Broil for 3-4 minutes, until lightly charred.
- 2- Squeeze the broiled garlic out of the skins directly into a blender container. Add the broiled tomatillos, broiled jalapeno, 1 TBS oil, 1 tsp salt, and the cilantro. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt.
- 3- Squeeze the juice of half the lime onto the onion rings and sprinkle with 1/2 TBS oil. Grill the onion rings on a hot grill or cast iron pan for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove them from the grill to a plate and immediately squeeze the juice of the other half of the lime onto them, and sprinkle with salt.
- 4- Layer 2-3 TBS of shredded cheese between 2 tortillas, and repeat for the other 4 tortillas and the rest of the cheese. Heat the rest of the oil in a skillet and fry the quesadillas for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crisp. Serve with the tomatillo garlic sauce and top with the lime-flavored grilled onion rings.
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/