Tabouleh Salad with Za'atar Pita Chips & Garlic Yogurt
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, washed and chopped very finely
- 1/4 bunch of mint leaves, washed and chopped very finely
- 1/2 pint cherry, chopped as fine as possible.
- 4 or more scallions, washed & chopped small
- 2 Tbsp of fine Bulgar
- 4-5 Tbsp Quality Olive oil
- 2 fresh lemons, juiced
- 3-4 small fresh cucumbers - washed and diced small
- Salt, to taste (start with 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp Sumac
- For the Pita Chips & Yogurt
- 4 tablespoons za'atar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large pitas
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To make the Salad
- Place the bulgar in 4 Tbsp of water to soak while you chop the vegetables
- Wash and dry the veggies and herbs, it's important to pat dry and leave until completely dry, especially the parsley and mint that are the main ingredients.
- Cut the stems off the parsley and mint then chop as finely as possible. (This may take some time but it pays off in the end).
- It's a good idea to then spread the chopped parsley and mint on some paper towels and let rest again for a few mins in order to get rid of the extra moisture released when chopping. Ideally you want the juice in the salad to be mostly from the lemon juice and olive oil, no one wants soggy tabouleh!
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces and drain excess water and seeds
- Finely chop the scallions and mix with the sumac
- When you are ready to serve the salad, remove the Bulgar from the water, and separate it with your fingers, if needed. Place it in a bowl and add the lemon juice, continuing to separate the bulgar with your fingers.
- Add the herbs and vegetables to the bowl, then add the olive oil and salt all over the ingredients and mix lightly. Avoid over-mixing so that the greens stay as fresh as possible.
- Tabbouleh is traditionally served on or beside a bed of lettuce, but feel free to present it however you like.
- To make the Chips & Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine za'atar and olive oil in a small bowl to form a paste. Cut one pita open around the edge to create two rounds. Repeat with remaining pita.
- Place pita rounds on a baking sheet. Spread za'atar mixture over rough sides of pita rounds using the back of a spoon.
- Bake until edges are golden, about 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and cut into wedges.
- Combine yogurt, mint, garlic, and salt.
- Serve along side pita chips and enjoy with the Salad
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/