This simple, succulent, and protein-filled dish is excellent with Spicy Rapini. To clean your leeks, watch this handy video from the NYT:
Tomato and Leek Farro
- Farro - 1 1/2 cups
- Water - 2 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Leeks - 2 cups, prepared (see instructions below)
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth - 1/4 cup
- Fresh Rosemary - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Tomatoes - 2 medium sized, seeded, chopped
- Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon, fresh squeezed
- Onion - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Farro is a type of whole-grain wheat. The farro should boil in salted water for about 40 minutes, or until tender.
Caramelized Leeks and Tomato
- Trim away the root end, tough outer leaves, and dark green tops of the leeks. Cut the leeks lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into thirds. Wash the leeks well to remove any grit, and drain in a colander. (Or, used leftover leeks from the sliders!)
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, saute until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth. Cover; simmer until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add farro, rosemary, and oil. Stir in tomatoes, onions, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Salt, Butter, Broth, Olive Oil
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/