Warm Salad of Crispy Bacon and Jerusalem Artichokes
- Jerusalem artichokes (or potatoes if you prefer)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Spring Mix of Winter leaves
- 1 small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices of thickly sliced smoked bacon
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- First of all, scrub your Jerusalem artichokes and boil them in salted water until tender, around 10-15 minutes. Once cool, cut them in half and set aside. You may use potatoes if you prefer.
- Cut your bacon into 1 inch slices. Pour a small amount of olive oil into a non-stick frying pan and fry the bacon. When it’s lightly golden, add the sliced onion and your cooked and drained Jerusalem artichokes or potatoes. Fry on a medium heat until the bacon is golden and crisp, the onion is sticky and soft and the Jerusalem artichokes have sucked up all the flavors and turned crispy.
- Divide half the contents of your pan between four plates, then add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar to the pan, with a little pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything together so the flavors improve and then pour immediately over the salad leaves waiting in the bowl. Toss lightly and quickly (using your fairy fingers!) so each leaf is coated in the tasty balsamic dressing. Put a nice handful of the salad leaf mixture on top of the hot bits and pieces that are already on each plate. Eat at once as it is, or quickly shave over a little Parmesan – nice both ways.
OTB Blog http://blog.outoftheboxcollective.com/